Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Old Pope, New/Old Pope, Irate Nuns in the News

Well! Finally back from ongoing vespers, around the world tour in mourning the loss of Ole Grandad, Papi, Pope J, Papa Jo' gone to the big chapel in the sky. As funerals and weddings bring people together, this was no different. I ran into every walk-of-life sister from around the world, some in habit, some not (oh these modern day nuns!), some in varying shades of blue, black and grey and one forest green nun as if she had visited a paint store on her way to receive her vows! Nuns in yellow from an ashram in Los Angeles, buddhist nuns (always the coolest in my book) - just a virtual nun-o-rama.

It was quite something to see Ole Grandad paraded around the city in his plastic coffin as if right out of a Faulkner story! And when the new man was elected to the throne, as if in a wedding, we were all brought right back together again. I think I had confetti in my eardrum for days and Lord knows, how much pollution we contributed to the earth's atmosphere what with all the black smoke when one cardinal I heard just couldn't make up his mind. Rumor has it the new Pope was picked in a Poker game. The Pope candidates faces were all laid out on the "face" cards and they sat down to a game of "Rome Hold 'Em" that brought the candidate forthwith! Well, one never knows does one? But these were the rumors flying about at breakneck speed on the grounds beneath the Vatican. I did get asked for my opinion now and then by the phalanx of reporters from around the world. Look for me in Italian People Magazine.

No comments: